Adjustment of Status

For a foreign national who is living within the United States on a visa, there are few things more exciting than getting a green card and being able to have permanent resident status. But the process of getting a green card is complicated and can take months or even years in some cases. If you currently have a visa and are hoping to adjust your status, our experienced lawyers at the office of Illinois Immigration Law Group can help. Reach out to our law firm by phone or online to learn more about our adjustment of status legal services.

What Is an Adjustment of Status?

As explained by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), adjustment of status is the legal process that a person can undergo to apply for lawful permanent resident status, or green card-holder status, when they are already living within the United States. This is convenient, as those who are living within the United States will not have to return to their home countries in order to participate in the process.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a Green Card?

The first thing to do if you are interested in the adjustment of status process is to determine whether or not you are eligible for a green card. Even if you are confident that you are, it is strongly recommended that you consult with an attorney who can assist you in this process.

Whether or not you qualify for a green card and an adjustment of status depends on the immigrant category that you are applying under. It’s possible to get a green card through employment, family, refugee or asylee status, with special immigrant status, or if you are a victim of human trafficking, crime, or abuse. If you have questions about any of the categories of immigrants who may be eligible for a green card, as well as categories not listed above, please contact the Illinois Immigration Law Group.

How Long Does the Process Take?

The process of going through an adjustment of status and getting a green card can take anywhere from just under a year to just over a year. In addition to filing an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, you’ll also need to provide documentation and evidence to support your eligibility for a green card, attend a biometrics service appointment where your fingerprints will be taken and other data will be gathered, an attend and interview if USCIS determines that one is necessary. After the process has been completed, you will receive a decision from USCIS in writing. If your application is denied, you will be given the reason for the denial. Unfortunately, appealing a denial is rarely possible.

Get Help with Your Adjustment of Status Case

For help navigating the process of adjusting your status and obtaining lawful permanent resident status in the United States, do not hesitate to consult with an experienced attorney, such as those found at the Illinois Immigration Law Group. Our lawyers are passionate about what we do and can guide you through the process.


The Illinois Immigration Law Group

    1990 E. Algonquin Rd., Suite 180 Schaumburg, IL 60173
    (847) 495-2223